Keerai Kuzhambu is the easiest and tastiest sambar variety that can be had with hot steaming rice. This can also be had as a side dish for ragi kali too. Today i made this sambar using spinach . You can make it with the keerai of your choice. Lets see the steps of making this sambar.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints |Serves : 3
Spinach - 1 cup chopped
Oil - 2 tbspn + 1 tbspn
Green Chili - 1
Curry leaves - few
Red chili - 1
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
Garlic - 2 finely chopped
Shallots - 7 chopped
Tomato - 1
Tamarind extract - 1/4 cup
Sambar powder - 1 tbspn
Salt- 1 tspn
Hing - 1 tspn
Turmeric - 1 tspn
Toor dal - 1/4 cup ( cooked and mashed)
1. Wash and shop the spinach. In a pan heat 2 tbspn of oil and add the curry leaves,garlic,g.chili . Once the garlic turns golden add the shallots and cook till it turns pink.
2. Then add the tomatoes and spinach mix well. Add the tamarind extract , salt , sambar powder,turmeric,hing. Then Mix well. Cook till the raw smell goes.
3. Once the raw smell goes add the pressure cooked toor dal and mix well. Cook for 5 mints. Then turn off the flame. Temper it with mustard seeds and red chili.
Serve the Hot sambar with steamed rice.
1. You can make with keerai of your choice.
2. Instead of shallots you can make it with onions.