Raw Mango/Mangai Pachidi is the traditional sweet pachidi that is made in southern part of India like Ugadi festival,Tamil new year etc...This pachidi is the combination of five flavors like sweet,sour,spicy,bitter,salt. Traditionally this pachidi is made of raw mango in jaggery syrup along with red chili , salt and fried vepampoo(Neem flower).
But today i made this pachidi without adding the vepampoo(Neem flower). Adding Neem flower is optional. Lets quickly learn the procedure of making this pachidi.
Preparation Time : 20 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints
Raw Mango - 1 cup (sliced thin)
Jaggery - 1 cup heaped
Salt - pinch
Water - as required
Oil - 2 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tbspn
Red Chili - 2
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tspn(optional)
1. Wash the raw mango and peel the skin. Then slice the mango as thin as possible. I used bajji slicer to slice it. Then pressure cook the mango for three whistle with a pinch of salt and little water.
2. In a pan add the jaggery with little water and boil till the jaggery dissolves. Then strain the jaggery syrup and bring again to boil. Once it starts to boil add the cooked mango.
3. Mix it well and allow it to cook till thickens. Then temper the mustard,fenugreek and red chili. Mix it to pachidi.
Now the Mangai pachidi is ready.
My Notes :
1. I done this pachidi with raw mango. If u want you can make it with little ripped mangoes too. But don't use full ripped mangoes.
2. I want the mangoes to be marshy so sliced thin and pressure cooked. If you want bite pieces then just cook it for one whistle or cut the mango into bite size pieces and make half cook.
3. Increase or decrease the jaggery as per taste.
4.If u add neem flower fry 1 tbspn of neem flower in a tspn of ghee and add to pachidi before adding tempering.
5. Adding fenugreek is optional.