VENDAKKAI KARA KUZHAMBU
Kara Kuzhambu is the popular south indian kuzhambu. This is served in all hotels along with meals. This can be made with any vegetable like brinjal,Drumstick,potato etc.. Today i made this kuzhambu with vendakkai. The main taste of the Kara kuzhambu is because of the shallots. Lets look at the recipe of making this kuzhambu.
Preparation Time : 15 mints |Cooking Time :30 mints| Serves : 2
Oil - 3 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tbspn
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tspn
Curry leaves - few
Shallots / Small onion - 15 nos chopped
Tomato - 1
Lady's Finger - 5 nos
Turmeric - 1 tspn
Sambar powder - 1-2 tbspn
Hing - 1 tspn
Salt - to taste
Tamarind Extract - 1 cup
Water - as required
Coconut - 3 tbspn
Shallots - 5 nos
1. Grind the coconut and shallots to a fine paste . Heat the oil dd the mustard , fenugreek and curry leaves. Allow it to pop. Add the chopped shallots.
2. Once onion turns pink then add the tomatoes and cook till marshy. Add the vendakkai and cook well in oil. Then add the turmeric and sambar powder. Mix well.
3. Add the tamarind extract,salt and hing. Allow it to cook till the raw smell goes and the vendakkai cooked completely. Then add the grinded paste and cook till it boils. Then turn off the flame.
Kara Kuzhambu is ready to serve.
My Notes :
1. Instead of shallots you can add the onions. But for better taste go with shallots.
2. Dont increase the coconut then you ll get sweetish taste in kuzhambu.
3. Sambar powder you can increase or decrease as per taste.
4.You can also add garlic along with shallots while frying.