Karamani Kuzhambu is also called as Lobia gravy or black eyed pea gravy . This is a Indian type gravy / kuzhambu made of peas in tomato onion gravy along with coconut and tangy tamarind taste. It can be had with hot steamed rice. You can add vegetables of your choice in the gravy or you can do only with karamani. Today i added brinjal along with the gravy.
Preparation Time:15 mints|Cooking Time:30mints|serves:3-4
Tomato - 2 small
Shallots - 10 - 15 nos
Garlic - 3cloves
Coconut - 3tbspn
Karamani / Black eyed beans - 1/4 cup
Tamarind Extract - 1/4cup
Oil - 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds - 1tspn
Salt - 1tbspn
Sambar Powder - 1tbspn
1. Dry roast the karamani for 5 mints and pressure cook it with little salt and until its soft. Don't make it mushy.
2. In a kadai heat 2tbspn of oil and fry garlic,shallots & tomatoes one by one. And cook until tomatoes are soft.
3. Allow it to cool and add it to the blender along with coconut. Grind it to a paste. In a kadai , heat the oil add mustard seeds allow it to pop then add the curry leaves.
4. Add grinded onion tomato paste along with sambar powder, tamarind water to it. Cover and cook till the raw smell goes.
5. Once the raw smell goes add the cooked karamani and salt. Cook for 5 mints. Then turn off the flame.
Serve karamani kuzhambu with rice.
You can add vegetables like Drumstick , Potato , Brinjal along with karamani.
You can also do the kuzhambu with black channa instead of karamani.
Adding small onion is optional. Instead you can alter with big onions.