BUTTER NAAN (YEAST FREE & STOVE TOP)
Butter naan is most popular flat bread that served in all restaurants and dhabas in India. This is usually made in tandoor or oven, can also be made on stove top. This naan tastes great along with any north Indian gravy. Usually the active yeast is used in naan to get it soft. But today lets learn how to make the naan without adding the yeast.
Preparation Time: 3 Hr | Cooking time: 15 mints | Makes : 7
All Purpose Flour/ Maida – 2 Cups
Salt – to taste
Baking Powder – 1/2 tspn
Baking Soda – 1/8 tspn
Yogurt/ Curd (room temperature) – 1/4 Cup
Milk (room temperature) – 1/2 Cup
Water – as required
Oil – 2 Tbspn
Butter – 2 Tbspn
1. In a mixing bowl add maida, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mix all these well until combined. Add milk , yogurt and mix well into the dry ingredients. Add water if necessary, but i did not add any. Make a sticky dough. Add 2 tbspn oil to the sticky dough.
2. Knead the dough till you get a smooth dough. Cover the dough and rest in a warm place for 3 hrs. After resting , apply oil to your palm and knead for few secs. Divide the dough into equal dumplings. Rest them covered for 10 mints. After that, take one of the dumplings and dip into the dry flour.
3. Start rolling it into a thick tear shape roti using a rolling pin. Apply water on one side of the Naan.Heat the dosa tawa for 5 mints. Once its very hot, transfer the Naan onto the hot tawa. So that the water side faces the tawa, that way it sticks better. Fry on med high flame until you see bubbles on top. Now carefully take it out from the pan, flip and directly fry it using a wire rack on High flame. Fry till the bottom side gets nice golden spots. Remove from the wire rack and apply butter over both sides.
Repeat the process of rolling and frying with the remaining dumplings.
Serve butter naan with gravy of your choice..!!!
My Notes :
1. As i am using coil stove , Flipped it and fry it on the wire rack on high flame. If you are using gas stove cook the other-side on direct flame till it becomes light golden in color.
2. You can cook butter naan on tawa itself instead of cooking on flame.