Aloo Methi is a dry curry or subzi of Punjabi cuisine made of boiled potatoes and fenugreek leaves along with the indian spices. This is perfect to serve along with the rice or roti. This can also be mashed and stuffed to make parathas. Lets look at the steps to make this aloo methi recipe.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 10 mints | Serves : 3
Oil - 4 tbspn
Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
Garlic – 1 tbspn finely chopped
Green Chili – 1 finely chopped
Onion - 1/4 cup finely chopped
Potatoes - 1/4 kg ( small sized 6 nos )
Fresh fenugreek leaves/methi -1 cup tightly packed
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
Red Chili Powder – 1 tspn
Coriander Powder – 1/2 tspn
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tspn
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tspn
Salt – to taste
1. Wash the potatoes and pressure cook them for 4 whistles. Peel off the skin,chop them into bite sized pieces.
2. Heat 2 tbspn of oil and saute potatoes adding salt, turmeric powder until it is slightly roasted. Keep it aside.
3. Wash methi leaves and use the tender stems alone. Discard the thick stems and chop the rest finely. Mix little salt with methi leaves and set aside. Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds and allow it to splutter.
4. Then add the chopped garlic and green chili, saute them well for few mints until it starts to golden brown. Add onions and saute until it turns transparent. Add cooked potatoes and saute for a minute.Then add methi leaves.
5. Cook until it wilts. Add the red chili powder, cumin powder , coriander powder and garam masala powder. mix well. cook covered for another 5 minutes until everything gets blended well. Turn off the flame.
Serve with rice or roti..!!