RAVA / SOOJI KICHADI
Rava Kichadi is one of the most popular and my favorite South Indian tiffin . It is prepared by mixing the sooji and vegetables with the flavor of ghee. It can be served as a dinner or breakfast along with coconut chutney or sambar. This even taste amazing with sugar. This is similar to the kara bath which is most popular in Karnataka. Lets look at the steps to make this kichadi.
Preparation Time: 10 mints | Cooking time: 10 mints | Serves: 4
Oil - 3 tbspn Mustard - 1 tspn Channa dal - 2 tbspn
Cashew nuts - few Curry leaves - a sprig
Green chilies - 2 slitted Ginger, chopped finely - 1 tbspn Turmeric - 1/4 tspn Salt - As needed
Rava/ Sooji - 1 cup Onion - 1/4 cup chopped Tomato - 1 small chopped Carrot - 1 chopped Beans - 4 large chopped Water - 2.5 cups + 1/2 cup Ghee - 2 tbspn
1. In a pan heat oil and add the mustard seeds, channa dal, cashew nuts, green chilies,curry leaves and ginger. Keep in low flame and roast till the dal turn golden brown. Add the onions and saute till they becomes soft.
2. Add tomatoes and saute till they become soft. Add the veggies and saute for a minute. Then add turmeric powder.
3. Add 1/2 cup water and cook the vegetables for 3 minutes. In other sauce pan heat the 2.5 cups of water and bring to boil. Cook till the vegetables are 3/4th done.
4. Add rava and mix well. Then add the salt and stir once. Add the boiling water carefully to the rava without forming lumps, by keeping in low flame.
5. Keep covered in low flame for 5 minutes. Give it a mix. Add ghee in the last and mix well.
Serve the kichadi hot with chutney and sugar..!!
My Notes :
1. You can add vegetables of your choice like potato,green peas etc..
2. Sometimes the rava needs extra water to get cooked completely. It depends on the quality of rava. So keep the water little extra while boiling.
3. Adding generous ghee and oil helps to make kichadi soft.