Karuveppilai Sadam/Curry Leaves Rice is a healthy and flavorful rice variety. It is very simple and delicious can be prepared in very less time. It can be had for lunch and perfect when packed for lunch or for travel. As curry leaves is a rich source of iron this rice is very good for health. It can be served with kootu and chips as its dry type of rice variety. Lets look at the steps of making this rice.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 20 mints | Serves : 2 - 3
Rice – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Hing – to taste
Tamarind – little
Gingelly Oil / Sesame Oil – 2 tbspn
Ghee – 1 tspn
Mustard seeds – 1 tspn
Cashews – 7 broken
Roast and Grind :
Gingelly Oil / Sesame Oil – 1 tspn
Curry leaves – 1 cup tightly packed
Coriander Seeds – 2 tbspn
Channa dal – 2 tbspn
Whole Urad dal – 1 tbspn
Whole Black Pepper – 1 tspn
Fenugreek seeds – few
Dry Red Chilies – 4
1. Roast all the items under ‘To roast and grind’ table except curry leaves. Roast until it turns golden in color.
2. Rinse curry leaves well and dry it completely. Then add curry leaves and saute for 3-4mins. Switch off the flame. Transfer it to the blender along with tamarind and salt.
3. Grind it to a coarse powder. Cook rice with 2.5 cups of water for 3-4 whistles in medium flame, cool down completely. Add tbspn of gingelly oil and mix well. Heat tbspn of gingelly oil add mustard seeds and hing.
4. Heat tbspn of ghee add broken cashews and fry till golden brown. Add the mustard seeds tempering and fried cashews to the rice along with required grinded powder. Mix well.
Curry leaves rice is ready to serve with any kootu..!!
1. Use sesame oil for the best results.
2. Adding cashew nut is optional. Instead you can also roast the peanuts and add it to rice.
3. Add the grinded powder and salt as per your taste.