As Vinayagar Chadhurthi is nearing, I am posting this easy sundal recipe with brown channa/kondai kadalai. We can also do this sundal as neivethiyam during ayutha pooja or varalakshmi nombu. It is a great source of protein and fiber. Today i made this sundal by adding masala podi(arachivitta podi / kari podi). Adding this podi gives nice flavor and taste. This can be also served as evening snacks. Lets look at the steps of making this sundal recipe.
Preparation Time : 5 mints | Soaking Time : 12 hrs | Cooking Time : 15 mints | Serves :
Oil - 2 tspn
Mustard - 1 tspn
Urad dal - 2 tspn
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Red chili - 1
Hing - a pinch
Black channa - 1 cup
Salt - As needed
Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
Masala Powder - 1 tbspn
1. Wash and soak the black channa overnight. Drain water and pressure cook with water just enough to immerse the channa completely along with required salt. Pressure cook for 4 or 5 whistles in a medium flame. In case, if there is water in the channa, drain it and keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal, when dal turns golden brown, add red chili, hing and curry leaves. Saute for a second and add the cooked channa. Saute for 2-3 minutes until it is well coated with the seasoning.
3. Add the masala powder and mix well for 2 minutes in medium flame. Then add grated coconut, mix well and remove from flame.
Kondai kadalai masala sundal is ready to serve..!!
My Notes :
1. As i have the masala powder(kari podi) ready i used instantly. If not you can make small amount instantly and add it.
2. Adjust the salt and coconut as per your taste.