GROUNDNUT / PEANUT CHUTNEY
Peanut or Groundnut is also called as verkadalai in tamil. This is the chutney made of grinding the roasted peanuts,tamarind and red chili along with the grated coconut. Its is a perfect side dish for idli, dosa and upma varieties. This is my moms usual chutney variety and liked it very much. Today lets learn how to make this peanut chutney.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 15 mints | Serves : 4
Peanuts - 3/4 cup Grated coconut - 2-3 tbspn Red chilies - 2 Tamarind - little Salt as required
Hing - 1/4 tspn
Oil - 2 tbspn Mustard - 1/2 tspn Urad dal - 1/2 tspn Curry leaves - little
1. Dry roast the peanuts till nice aroma rises and they turn slightly browned. It should not get burnt. Allow it to cool. Crush the peanuts with hands and remove the skin . Set aside.
2. Heat a tspn of oil add the red chili and tamarind. Saute for a minute, then add the grated coconut and roast for a minute. Turn off the flame and allow it to cool. Add the roasted peanuts,red chili,coconut,tamarind to the blender along with the salt and hing.
3. Grind it to a slightly smooth paste with required water. Heat remaining oil, add mustard seeds, when mustard splutters, add urad dal and curry leaves and pour it over the chutney. Mix well.
Peanut chutney is ready to serve with hot idli..!!
1. If you are using roasted salted peanuts you can skip the step 1 and adjust the salt accordingly.
2. Instead of coconut you can add 3 garlic cloves by roasting and grind it.
3. You can roast and remove the skin of peanuts. Keep it handy to make in air tight box.