Brinjal / Kathrikkai puli kuzhambu is a simple kuzhambu made of brinjal in a tamarind gravy along with the coconut paste. Adding shallots / small onion to this kuzhambu gives nice flavor to this kuzhambu. It is best to serve with hot rice , curd rice with vegetable fry / papad.
Brinjal along with the tamarind makes the gravy excellent. Lets look at the steps of making this kuzhambu.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 25 mints | Serves : 2 - 3
Brinjal – 7 nos
Small Onion – 10 nos
Garlic – 2 pearls chopped
Coconut – 3 tbspn
Tamarind – 1 small lemon size
Sambar powder – 1 tbspn
Coriander powder – 1/2 tbspn
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Water – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Sesame Oil -1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tspn
Urad Dal – 1/2 tspn
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tspn
Red Chilies – 1
Curry leaves – few
1. Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of water , mash it up well and extract the pulp. Grind coconut to a fine paste with required water.
2. Cut the brinjals as shown and immerse it in water to avoid declaration. In a pan add sesame oil and add mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves , red chili and vendhayam. When the mustard splutters add the garlic.
3. Saute and then add the peeled shallots. Meanwhile saute till the shallots turns pink and add the brinjals. Saute well for 3 mints till brinjals shrink, add water allow it get cooked.
4. Add the tamarind pulp once brinjals turn soft. Then add turmeric, red chili powder and coriander powders.Add required salt. Mix well.
5. Cook for 5 mints till the raw smell goes then add the coconut paste. Allow it boil for few mints until it the kuzhambu consistency thickens and oil starts separating. Switch off the flame.
Serve hot with rice..!!
1. You can add red chili powder instead of sambar powder if required.
2. You can make kuzhambu with veggies like murungakkai , ladies finger and bitter gourd.
3. Make sure the raw smell goes. Also the kuzhambu thickens after turning off. So adjust the consistency accordingly.