ONION THOKKU / VENGAYA THOKKU / SHALLOTS PICKLE
Vengaya thokku / Onion thokku is the easy and tasty thokku/pickle variety which is made of shallots and red chili along with tamarind,salt,jaggery. This can be had has a side dish for Idli,dosa,chapati or curd rice. It also taste amazing by mixing with hot rice and top it with ghee. This is a quick version of thokku and it stays good even for 15 days when refrigerated. You can also make this thokku with big onions, but vary little in taste.
This was my most favorite thokku next to tomato thokku. It can be made in jiffy. I loved to post this as my 200th recipe in my blog. Lets look at the method of making this thokku / pickle with shallots.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 15 Mints | Serves : 4 - 6
Sesame oil - 3 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
Curry leaves - little chopped ( optional )
Small Onions / Shallots - 25 nos Red Chili - 5 nos Tamarind Extract - 3 - 4 tbspn ( thick )
Jaggery - 1 tspn
Salt - as needed Hing - 1/4 tspn
1. In a pan add 1 tbspn of oil and saute the red chili. Once sauteed remove from heat. Peel the shallots / small onions.
2. Soak tamarind in warm water and extract it juice .Discard the pulp. In the blender add the red chili,shallots,tamarind extract,salt and hing. Grind it to a fine paste. Then add the jaggery.
3. Blend it well. No need to add water. Heat remaining oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
4. When it splutters, add ground onion paste. Cook till it becomes thick and oil starts separating in a low flame. Turn off the flame and allow this to cool. Store it in a clean bottle.
Serve the thokku with hot idlis and enjoy...!!
My Notes :
1. Adjust salt and chills according to your taste.
2. You can also make this thokku with big onions, but vary little in taste.
3. Adding curry leaves is optional.