Cabbage vadai is the most tasty and easy vadai recipe without onion and garlic. This vadai is similar to the ulundu vadai but instead of onion, we use cabbage. This vadai is most perfect dish for neivedhiyam. It can be served as snack or also with south indian breakfast/meals. We can also make use of kadala paruppu to make cabbage vadai which is similar to paruppu vadai. But i prefer use of making with urad dal as cabbage as a taste of onion in it. Lets look at the method of making this cabbage vadai.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Soaking Time : 60 mints | Cooking Time : 10 mints | Makes : 15 - 20 vadai
Urad dal - 1 cup
Cabbage - 1.5 cups ( Finely chopped )
Green chili - 2 ( Finely chopped )
Ginger - 1 tbsp ( Finely chopped )
Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp ( Finely chopped )
Curry leaves - few ( Finely chopped )
Hing - 1/4 tspn
Salt - As needed
Water - as required
Oil - for frying
1. Wash and soak urad dal for 1 hour. Drain all the excess water and take the urad dal in a mixie jar. Grind it to a smooth thick paste by adding water little by little along with salt and hing.
2. Transfer the batter to the mixing bowl. Add the finely chopped cabbage,ginger,g.chili,curry leaves and coriander leaves. Mix well.
3. Heat oil to deep fry. Wet your hands and take a smooth ball, make a hole in the middle using your thumb and drop carefully to the oil.
4. Cook both sides in medium flame until golden brown .
5. Once the vadai is done , remove from oil . Add to the paper towels and strain the excess oil. Repeat the process to make all vada.
Hot cabbage vadai is ready to serve..!!
1. Wet your right hand every time before making balls to avoid the sticky .Initially if your making vada do it with the covers . Then once you are convenient then try making in one hand.
2. Today i grinded batter using mixie. For better results grind the batter in the grinder. While grinding, add water little by little to get perfect crispy and soft vadas . If the batter becomes watery the vadas will drink more oil.
3. In case its little watery add a tbspn of rice flour to adjust the consistency. Dont add more rice flour it will be hard.
4. Always prefer adding salt while grinding . Adding salt later will make vada watery.