Appalam Vatha Kuzhambu is a tamarind gravy made with urad dal papads which is served with rice . Generally Vatha kuzhambu is made of vegetables. But this recipe uses appalam instead. The procedure remains just the same as that of Vathal Kuzhambu. I learnt this recipe from my mil. She uses to make appalam vatha kuzhambu along with vegetables. But when i am running out of vegetables and vathal i tried this recipe and it taste so yummy..!! So thought of sharing this in blog. Lets look at the steps of making this recipe.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 30 Mints |Serves: 2-3
Urad dal Appalam - 3
Tamarind extract - 2 cups
Sesame oil - 4 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
Vendayam - 1/4 tspn
Curry leaves - few
Red chili - 1
Sambar powder - 1 tbspn
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tspn
Salt - as needed
Jaggery - 1 tsp
Hing - a pinch
Rice flour - 1 tspn
Water - as required
1. Cut the appalams in to small pieces. In a kadai, heat the sesame oil and temper with mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds allow it to pop.
2. Then add the curry leaves and red chili. When sizzles, add the appalams and fry for a minute. The appalams will get fried so that we add more oil.
3. Now add the tamarind extract, sambar powder,turmeric powder,hing and mix well. When it starts to boil add the salt.
4. Allow it to boil for 10 mints in medium flame. Add the jaggery to it. Mix the rice flour in water without lumps and add to the gravy. Cook it for another 3 mints. When it reaches the desired consistency, switch off the flame.
Serve the appalam vatha kuzhambu with hot rice..!!
My Notes :
1. We add more oil,so that the appalams will get fried in it.
2. Appalam has salt in it so add salt accordingly.