PALKOVA / THERATIPAL
Palkova / Theratipal is a tasty and delicious dessert made in southern part of India. It is usually prepared for the festivals like diwali,gokulashtami etc.. It is also a common sweet variety in tamil marriage functions. This is very easy to prepare with very few ingredients but a bit time consuming as we do not need to stir the milk continuously.
The traditional palkova is more tasty than the instant ones. Usually i prefer making instant ones. But my friend makes this often. And it tastes yummy..!! So thought of sharing this traditional way in blog..!! Lets look at the step wise pictures to make this palkova.
Preparation Time : 5 mints | Cooking Time : 60 mints | Makes : 250 grams ( 1 cup ) palkova
Milk - 1 liter ( 4 cups)
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Ghee - 2 tspn
1. Take a heavy bottomed nonstick kadai, add 4 cups of milk. Boil the milk in medium low flame. Stir the milk to avoid overflow and chances of the milk getting burnt .
2. Allow the milk to boil till it becomes thicker . Scrap the malai that settled at the sides and mix well. Keep boiling.
3. When the milk is reduced to half ( i.e to 1/2 liter ) add 2 tspn of ghee and mix well. Keep the milk boiling.
4. The most of the water vaporizes from the milk and reduced to 1/4 liter. Now it forms small solids here and there. Keep stirring.
5. When more solids are formed reduce the flame to the low and add the sugar to it. Mix well. Once you add sugar, it will become a little watery. Keep stirring for some more time until it becomes thick.
6. Keep stirring continuously until it forms a thick mass as there is more chances of burning.
7. It took almost 50 to 60 mints to form mass and leave the sides. Remove from flame and allow it to cool down. Once it cools it will thicken further. Store in air tight box.
Tasty and Delicious Palkova / Theratipal is ready...!!
My Notes :
1. Full fat milk is preferable as it will take less time to thickens.
2. Adding cardamom and chopped nuts is optional.
3. Increase or decrease sugar as per your taste.
4. Few add a tspn of curd to get a crumble texture. If needed you can add.