Baby Potato / Small Potato fry is the most simplest fry variety which can be served as side dish for rice varieties and for meals. This fry can be made very quickly. It is made of mixing the spices with the boiled small potatoes and roasting it. This taste yummy with drumstick sambar. I learnt this recipe from my aunty and i loved this very much. My family is big fan to this recipe and will do it regularly. Here i get only this much small sized potatoes , if you get more smaller sized prefer making fry with that kind. Lets look at the step wise pics for making this fry.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 15 mints | Serves : 2
Small potato - 12 nos
Oil – 2 tbspn
Mustard Seeds – 1 tspn
Curry Leaves – few chopped
Water - 3 tbspn
For Marination :
Sesame oil – 2 tbspn
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tspn
Hing – 1/4 tspn
Sambar Powder – 1 tbspn
Coriander Powder – 1/2 tspn
Jeera Powder – 1/2 tspn
Salt – 1 tspn
1. Wash the potatoes well. Pressure cook the baby potatoes for 4 whistles.It should be soft but not mushy and should retain its shape. Once pressure releases strain the water and allow it to cool down.
2. Peel the skin.This is a bit difficult task but worth doing this. Put small holes in the potatoes with the toothpick or any small needle. Dont break it. Take all the spice powder in a mixing bowl along with salt.
3. Add the sesame oil and mix well. Add the potatoes to it.
4. Mix well and let it sit for 30 minutes over the counter top. In a kadai , heat oil add mustard seeds and curry leaves,let it splutter.
5. Add the marinated potatoes and mix well. Add 3 tbspn of water the spice bowl . Mix and add the water to the potatoes.
6. Saute for 10 mints in low flame till its fried well. Add little oil if needed and keep sauteing. Once done , remove from the flame.
Serve the baby potato with drumstick sambar and Enjoy...!!
My Notes :
1. If you feel the potatoes are large you can cut into halves .
2. Here i get only this much small sized potatoes , if you get more smaller sized prefer making fry with that kind. If using small potatoes then cook it with 2 -3 whistle.
3. Adjust the spice powders as per your taste.