Rava Pongal is the most popular south indian breakfast which is very simple and easy to make. This is similar to the ven pongal recipe and the only difference is instead of rice we make this with Bombay rava. It can be served with coconut chutney or sambar or kosthu. We love this than the usual pongal as it is more tastier and also for the perfect smooth texture.
This is a recipe that i was waiting for long time to post . As i tried with various proportion of rava and moong dal, and this was my comfortable and liked proportion . So thought of sharing this recipe today. Lets look at the procedure to make this pongal.
Preparation Time : 5 mints | Cooking Time : 25 mints | Serves : 2
Rava/ semolina – 1/2 cup
Moong dal – 1/3 cup
Ghee – 4 tbsp
Whole black pepper – 1 tspn
Cumin seeds – 1 tspn
Cashew nuts – 5
Ginger, finely chopped – 1 tspn
Curry leaves – few
Salt – As needed
Water – 3.5 cups
1.Wash the moong dal (pasi paruppu) well and pressure cook with 1.5 cups water for 3 - 5 whistles. Once the pressure subsides mash the moong dal well.
2. In a kadai, add ghee. Once its hot add the chopped ginger when it turns golden add the cumin seeds. Allow it to pop.
3. Then add the cashew and whole black pepper . When it turns golden add the Bombay rava(sooji) and mix it well.
4. Heat 2 cups of water in a sauce pan while heating the ghee. When the water starts to roll boil add it to rava and mix well. Then add the cooked moong dal and salt to it.
5. Cook for 5 minutes till the rava gets cooked soft by stirring in between. I forget to add the curry leaves while adding cashews. So i added at last. Once it leaves the sides and forms like a mass then turn of the flame.
Serve the hot rava pongal with coconut chutney and sambar...!!
My Notes :
1. Increase or Decrease the amount of water as per the texture you required.
2. If you want more ghee , you can go head and add little more.
3. I forget to add the curry leaves while adding cashews. So i added at last.