RIDGE GUARD / PEERKANGAI CHUTNEY
Ridge guard is called as peerkangai in tamil. This is a perfect side dish to be served along with idli and dosa. As the ridge guard as sweet flavor this results the chutney taste excellent. When we get bored of regular chutney its good to make chutney with vegetables. This is usual chutney variety that i make often at home, as we all love it. Lets look at the preparation of making this chutney.
Preparation Time : 15 mints | Cooking Time : 20 mints | Serves : 3 - 4
Ingredients: Ridge Gourd - 1 cup peeled and sliced / chopped
Garlic - 3 cloves Onion - 1/2 cup chopped
Red chilies - 2 or 3 nos
Tomato - 1/2 cup chopped
Tamarind - 1 small piece
Coconut - 2 tbspn
Oil - 3 tbspn Salt - as needed
Urad dal -1 tbspn
Curry Leaves - a few
To Temper :
Oil - 1 tspn
Mustard seeds -1 tspn
1. Wash and peel only the hard skin of ridge gourd. Then make it into either slices or roughly chopped. Heat 3 tbspn of oil and add the sliced ridge guard. Saute well till it becomes soft. Remove the ridge guard from pan.
2. In the same oil add the urad dal and fry till golden. Then add the garlic,tamarind and red chili. Saute till golden then add the onion and curry leaves.
3. Cook till onion turns pink then add tomatoes and sauteed peerkangai. Cook till tomatoes are soft then add the grated coconut. Turn off the flame.
4. Mix well and allow the mixture to cool down. Grind it to a fine paste along with salt to a smooth chutney.
5. Heat the tspn of oil and add mustard seeds . Allow it to pop .Then turn off the flame. Add the grinded chutney and mix well.
Serve the chutney with Idli or dosa...!!
My Notes :
1. Instead of onion you may also add shallots.
2. Adjust the red chili as per the spices you need.
3. Adding coconut is completely optinaol.