STUFFED BRINJAL / KATHRIKKAI CURRY
Stuffed Brinjal curry / poriyal is most popular and very simple dish . It is pretty easy to prepare and if the kari podi is handy you can prepare this poriyal quickly. This is made of a spices powder stuffed inside the brinjal and roasted . There were many types of stuffing made and this is the most basic version which my mil taught me. The small/tiny brinjals are more suitable for this recipe. This can be served with hot steamed rice along with vathalkuzhambu. Lets look at the method of making this poriyal.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 20 mints | Serves : 2
Brinjal - 12 - 15 Nos ( choose small ones )
Kari podi / Arachu vitta sambar podi - 3 tbspn
Salt - 1 tspn
Turmeric - 1 / 4 tspn
Hing - 1/2 tspn
Oil - 3 tbspn
Tamarind extract - 4 tbspn
1. Wash brinjals then remove the whole stem on the top of brinjal. Make the slit till half the way as shown in the picture to check for any worms. Repeat same process for all brinjals and keep immersed in water to avoid decolonization.
2. Take the kari podi,salt,turmeric and hing in a plate. Mix all the ingredients well. Stuff the ground masala inside as much as possible .
3. Repeat same process for all brinjals and if the stuffing is left then sprinkle it on top of brinjals while roasting. I don't have any leftovers this time. In a kadai,heat oil and add the stuffed brinjal.
4. Saute for a minute. Keep the flame medium. Add the tamarind extract and cover the kadai for 2 minutes. Open the kadai,toss the brinjals and again cover cook it till brinjals are tender and cooked. Keep tossing every now and then else masala would burn. Cook till dry and all the water evaporates and oil oozes out.
Tasty and Delicious kathirkai poriyal is ready to serve.Enjoy !
My Notes :
1. Adding cloves to the spice powder is completely optional.
2. If you feel stuffing is too dry to fill with brinjals add 2 - 3 tbspn of water to powder. Mix and then stuff to it. As the brinjals are immersed in water the moisture and water is enough for stuffing. So i did not add any water extra.
3. Make sure the tamarind extract is thick.
#brinjalrecipes #poriyal #stuffedbrinjalcurry #brinjalporiyal #kathrikkaistuffedcurry