Peerkangai is also called as ridge guard in English. I have already posted a thuvyal and sambar recipe with this vegetable. This is a another version of thuvayal which is made of the skin of ridge guard. It taste very yummy and it can be served along with hot rice. Also it can be had as a side dish for idli,dosa and curd rice. This is a very healthy thogayal recipe. I heard it from my mom for first time to make this thogayal with skin and i tried with a big hesitation. But with my first try itself i loved it very much.
After using the skin you can use the flesh of the ridge guard to make sambar,kootu or chutney . Lets look at the steps of making this recipe.
Preparation Time : 5 mints | Cooking Time : 10 mints | Serves: 2 - 3
Ridge gourd (peerkangai) skin -1 cup
Tamarind -small pea sized ball
Sesame seed oil -3 tspn
Urad dal - 2 tbspn
Channa dal - 1 tbspn
Whole black pepper -1/4 tbspn
Red chilies - 2
Salt - to taste
Hing - 1/4 tbspn
1. Wash ridge gourd well, chop it into small pieces.Then peel the skin as shown in the picture.
2. Chop the skin into 1 inch pieces as shown. Heat 2 tsp of oil and add the ridge gourd skin.
3. Fry the ridge gourd skin until it tenders. Remove the ridge guard and in same oil, add urad dal, channa dal, black pepper,red chilies and the tamarind piece and saute for just a few seconds.
4. Fry until dal turns golden brown. Keep it aside.Grind everything together along with salt and hing to a coarse paste.
Ridge guard thol thuvayal is ready to serve.
My Notes :
1. Saute the skin well in oil so that thogayal stays long.You can refrigirate it for a week.
2. You can also add 2 tbspn of coconut while grinding this thuvayal . But adding coconut will not stay long .
3. After using the skin you can use the flesh of the ridge guard to make sambar,kootu or chutney.