KARI PODI / ARACHU VITTA SAMBAR POWDER
This is the powder that we prepare regularly at my home. It can be stored in air tight container and has shelf life for months. This podi is used as a spice powder along with the chili powder to the vegetables for making poriyal. This can also be used as additional powder along with the sambar powder to make arachu vitta sambar without coconut. This powder is commonly used in the brahmin style cooking. This is easy to make and lets look at the steps of making this powder.
Preparation Time : 5 mints | Cooking Time : 20 mints
Bengal gram or Channa Dal or kadalai paruppu - 1/2 cup Coriander seeds - 3/4 cup Red chilies - 25 nos
1. Measure all the ingredients and keep ready. In the pan, fry coriander seeds and channa dal till its slightly roasted. Then add the red chili and roast till all turns golden & get a nice aroma of roasted.
2. Transfer to a plate and allow it to cool down. After it cools,grind the red chili half then add the channa dal and coriander seeds all together to a coarse powder.
Store the powder in air tight container .
My Notes :
1. Dont prepare in large badges. Else the flavor will not be there. I usually grind 15 days once as i use it daily.
2. You can used in poriyal with vegetables without coconut.
3. If you are using only for poriyal and not for sambar then add little pattai/cinnamon dry roast and add grind it along. It taste excellent.
4. You can refer my sambar recipes for rice to use this powder.