PASIPARUPPU PAYASAM / MOONG DAL KHEER
Pasiparuppu Payasam / Moong dal kheer is a traditional south indian payasam made during many festivals and poojas. Some may make this payasam by adding coconut milk but we make this usually with plain milk. This is very easy and quick sweet variety that can be made in no time.
This tastes heaven with the flavor of moong dal , jaggery syrup and milk. The ghee roasted nuts and coconut will give a crunchy texture to the payasam.Lets look at the method of making this payasam.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 20 mints | Serves : 2
Moong Dal / Pasi Paruppu – 1/2 cup Jaggery – 1/4 cup
Water - 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup Milk – 1/4 cup ( boiled and bring to room temperature ) Cardamom – 1 tspn Ghee – 1 tspn Cashews – 1 tspn
Chopped Coconut - 1 tspn
1. Dry roast moong dal till golden brown and nice aroma comes.Allow it to cool down. Then pressure cook moong dal by adding 1/4 cup of water for 4 whistles.Once the dal is cooked mash it slightly with the masher . Add the moong dal to a kadai.
2. Take the jaggery and 1/4 cup of water in sauce pan and cook till the jaggery dissolves completely. Filter the jaggery syrup and add it to the cooked moong dal.
3. Mix the jaggery syrup and moong dal well . Cook till its starts to boil then add cardamom powder to it and mix well. Cook for 5 mints. Then add the boiled milk to it.
4. Give a quick stir and bring it to single boil.Then turn off the stove. Dont allow it to boil for more time. Heat ghee and roast the cashews and coconut pieces till golden and add it to the payasam .
Serve the pasi paruppu payasam hot...!!
My Notes :
1. Dont roast the moong dal too much and you should not let it brown .
2. Don’t over cook and mash the dal and make the payasam like koozh or porridge.
3. Boil the milk and bring to room temperature . Then use it in the payasam.
4. Adding roasted coconut is also optional, You can also add raisins roasted in ghee.
5. Instead of milk you can also add coconut milk.