Jack fruit payasam / Palapazha payasam is a traditional payasam variety that is most popular in Kerala. This is called as chakka pradhaman in Malayalam. Traditionally this payasam is made with the chakka varatti ( halwa type made of jack fruit , jaggery and sukku ) along with the coconut milk.
But as that is the long process so made this payasam with this easy method. The well ripen jack fruit is most suitable for this type of payasam. As this payasam is made of coconut milk this give a richness to this payasam. Lets look at the method to make this payasam.
Preparation Time : 20 mints | Cooking Time : 20 mints | Serves : 4
Ripen Jack fruit / Palapazham - 10 cholai / jack fruit pulp - 1 cup
Jaggery - 1/3 cup
Water - as required
Coconut Milk - 1 cup thick
Chopped cashew - 1 tspn
Chopped coconut - 1 tspn
Golden raisins - 1 tspn
Cardamom powder - 1 tspn
Ghee - 2 tspn + 2 tspn
1. Take the well ripen jack fruit . Remove the seeds and take the fruit alone separately. Chop the jack fruit finely and add it to a bowl with 3 tbspn of water and pressure cook it for three whistle.
2. It should be cooked well. Allow it to cool down then grind it to a paste. I got nearly one cup of jack fruit pulp. Keep it aside. Melt the jaggery in little water. Add 1 cup of coconut . Grind adding warm water.
3. Extract the coconut milk (i got nearly 1 cup) and keep it aside. Chop the cashew , coconut pieces. Heat 2 tspn of ghee, fry the coconut pieces , cashews and raisins till golden brown .
4. Remove it from the pan and. Keep it aside. Add the jack fruit pulp 2 tsp of ghee and cook till it blends well. Add the jaggery by straining the impurities and cook it . Add the cardamom powder to it.
5. Cook till it becomes slightly thick and leave the sides . Add the coconut milk and mix well. Dont allow it to boil for long after coconut milk is added as it will get separates. So when it is about to boil switch off the flame and then add fried cashews, coconut bits, cardamom powder and give a stir.
Serve the hot jack fruit payasam & enjoy..!!
My Notes :
1. Make sure you use ripen jack fruit to make this payasam.
2. I used 1/3 cup of jaggery as my jack fruit is very sweet. If not you can add the jaggery to 1/2 cup or even more.
3. Instead of 1 cup of coconut milk you can add 3/4 cup and add 1/4 cup of plain cow milk.
4. Adding chopped fried coconut to all jaggery payasam with get nice crunchy taste.
5. Increase the amount of ghee if needed.