Masala Peanuts is also called Masala Kadalai in tamil.Masala peanuts are roasted peanuts coated with Besan flour, rice flour and spices, which is very easy to make and a most favorite snack for all age groups.They can be deep fried,baked or microwaved, using the same ingredients.
Today i made the baked version of masala peanuts without oil. This was liked by my hubby so much and so thought of sharing in blog.Thought of trying this baked version many times but have a mild doubt about the taste. But today tried at last. Lets look at the recipe of making this peanuts.
Preparation time: 10 minutes | Baking time: 10-12 minutes
Raw peanuts – 1 cup
Chickpea flour – 4 tbspn
Rice flour – 2 tbspn
Red chili powder – 1 tbspn
Garam Masala powder -1/2 tspn
Salt – 1 tspn
Red Food color – a pinch
Water – 3 tbspn + for soaking
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degree F or 200 degree C for 10 minutes.Meanwhile wash the raw peanuts and drain the water completely. Peanuts should look moist and not soggy after draining the water.
2. Add the drained peanuts to a mixing bowl. To that add the besan flour,salt,red chili powder,garam masala,food color & rice flour. Mix well to get the masala coated well.
3. Sprinkle 3 tbspn of water to make the masala coated well. Spread it evenly in the baking tray lined with butter paper / parchment paper/ aluminum foil. This helps the peanuts looks separate and will not cling to each other. Also this helps to cook evenly. Bake it for 10-12 minutes until the peanuts become crisp and baked well. Allow the peanuts to cool down and store in air tight container.
Masala Kadalai is ready.
My Notes :
1.You can also add garlic paste for better flavor to the peanuts.
2. Adding food color is optional.
3.Use good quality peanuts.
4. Adjust the flour and spices level as per ones preference.
5. You can also add curry leaves while baking.