Keerai Kootu is a traditional and most popular kootu variety which is very healthy and perfect for the summer season. This helps a lot to over come the ulcer related issues. As this kootu is made of spinach,moong dal and coconut , its very good for babies too. The flavor of cumin seeds add extra flavor to the kootu. This can be served as side dish for thuvayal and vetha kuzhambu. I also prefer to eat this kootu by mixing it with rice. Its very simple and made very quickly. Lets look at the steps of making Kootu.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | serves : 2-3
Spinach / Palak - 2 cups chopped
Moong dal - 3 tbspn
Coconut - 3 tbspn
Cumin seeds - 1 tbspn
Pepper - 1/2 tspn
G. Chili - 1
Water - as required
Salt - 1 tspn
Sugar - little
Hing - 1 tspn
Turmeric - little
Oil - 1 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
Urad dal - 1 tbspn
Red chili - 1
1. Take the moong dal and wash well. Soak for 15 mints . Pressure cook it with little turmeric for 3 whistle.
2. Add the coconut , cumin seeds , pepper , g.chili to blender and grind it to a fine paste. Wash the spinach 4 times as they have sand . Chop them finely. Add it to kadai along with salt,asafoetida, sugar and water and cook for 5 minutes. Then add the moong dal and mix well.
3. Once it starts boil add the coconut paste cook for 2 mints. Then turn off the stove. Temper it with mustard,urad dal and red chili and add to the kootu.
Keerai Kootu is ready to serve.
My Notes :
1. Adding sugar is to retain the green color . If needed you also add the cooking soda.
2. Spinach will get cooked very fast.
3. I added only little g.chili. If needed you can increase the g.chili or add the sambar powder.