Wheat rava is also called godhumai rava or cracked wheat or samba ravai. This is the most healthiest upma variety which is suitable for both breakfast and dinner. This is the most filling tiffin variety . It can be served with chutney , sambar , curd or even with sugar. Lets look at the recipe for making this upma.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 25 mints | Serves : 3
Wheat Rava / Cracked wheat - 1.5 cups
Water - 3.5 cups + 1/2 cup
Oil - 3 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
Channa dal - 1 tbspn
G.chili - 2
Curry leaves - few
Onion - 1/4 cup chopped
Carrot - 1 small chopped
Beans - 2 chopped
Salt - to taste
Hing - 1 tspn
Coriander leaves - few chopped
1. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add channa dal. When dal turns golden brown, add g.chili,curry leaves and finely chopped onion. Saute until onions turn transparent. Then add the chopped carrot and beans.
2. Saute for a minute. Then add 1/2 cup of water and cook till the vegetables are soft and the water evaporates. Then add 3.5 cups of water along with salt and hing. Bring it to rapid boil add the wheat rava by reducing the flame to low.
3. Mix well and cook covered on low heat. Stir in between. Once all the water has evaporated, cook covered for another 3 minutes. Then add the chopped coriander leaves and turn off the stove.
Godhumai rava upma is ready to serve.
My Notes :
1. Increase the vegetables of your choice.
2. Add fried cashews at last if needed.
3. You can do it in pressure cooker. If so follow same procedure and cook for 1 whistle in medium flame after adding rava.