CHAYOTE PEANUT KOOTU / CHOW CHOW PEANUT KOOTU
Chow chow is also called as chayote or Bangalore kathrikkai. Its is a kootu that can be had with hot steamed rice. This is made of chow chow,peanuts,toor dal along with the freshly grounded masala. This is most common kootu usually done by mom with brinjal on festivals. So thought of sharing this recipe today. Hope you all will enjoy this recipe.
Preparation Time : 20 mints | Cooking Time : 50 mints | Serves : 4
Chow Chow - 1
Toor dal - 1/2 cup
Raw Peanuts - 1/4 cup
Tamarind - small lemon size
Turmeric - 1 tspn
Salt - to taste
To Grind :
Coriander Seeds - 2 tspn
Channa dal - 1.5 tspn
Red chili - 2
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tspn
Coconut - 1/4 cup
To Tempering :
Oil - 1 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
Urad dal - 1/2 tspn
Red Chili - 1 small
Curry Leaves - few
1. In a pan dry roast coriander seeds,channa dal,cumin seeds and dry till golden. Then add the coconut and dry roast till golden.
2. Soak the tamarind in 1/4 cup of water for 15 mints. Then extract the juice from it. Add the roasted ingredients to blender and grind it to a fine powder.
3. Soak the peanuts and toor dal for half an hour. Then pressure cook both for four whistles. Chop the chayote into bite size pieces and half cook it with turmeric and water .
4. Once the chayote is half cooked add the tamarind water and grinded powder to it along with salt. Mix well and allow it to boil. When it starts bubble add the cooked peanuts.
5. Cook it till the raw smell goes. Then add the cooked toor dal and required water,mix well. Cook till it thickens and raw smell goes.
6. Once its done add the chopped coriander leaves and turn off the flame. Heat oil and temper it with the mustard seeds,urad dal,red chili and curry leaves. Add the tempering to the sambar.
Kootu is ready to serve.
My Notes :
1. I used dry coconut instead you can use fresh coconut also.But dry roast well the fresh coconut.
2. Increase or decrease the red chili as per your spices.
3. Instead of chow chow you can use brinjal or ash guard.
4. If you are allergic to peanuts then you can use white channa instead of it.