Carrot rice is a type of variety rice that is made with the flavor of whole spices. This variety rice is most simple and easy one. Carrot is the most healthiest vegetable with rich of vitamin A. Also it has basically a sweetish flavor many wont prefer eating carrot poriyal. That times, carrot rice will be the best option.
I made this carrot rice similarly with briyani type . If you don't like the flavor of masala then avoid the whole spices and garam masala. This is perfect lunch box recipe too. Lets quickly look at the steps of making this rice.
Preparation Time : 10 mints | Cooking Time : 30 mints | Serves : 3
Grated Carrot - 3/4 cup
Basmati Rice - 1 cup
Water - 2 cups
Sliced onion - 1/4 cup
G.Chili - 2
Curry Leaves - few
Chopped Ginger - 1 tbspn
Star Annis - 1
Cardamom - 1 pot
Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
Cinnamon - 1 inch
Cloves - 1
Salt - 1 tspn
Red Chili powder - 1 tspn
Turmeric - 1/4 tbspn
Garam masala - 1/4 tspn
Pepper powder - 1/4 tspn
Oil - 2 tbspn
Ghee - 1 tbspn
Broken Cashew - 1 tbspn
1. Grate the two medium size carrot finely. Chop the ginger and curry leaves finely. Slice the onion and g.chili lengthwise. Soak the rice for 30 mints and pressure cook it for two whistle with 2 cups of water. Then transfer it to a plate by spreading it and cool down completely. Fry the cashew in ghee and keep ready.
2. In a pan heat oil and add all the whole spices and cumin seeds. Allow cumin seeds to pop.Then add the ginger,curry leaves,onion. Cook till onion turns soft then add the grated carrot and mix well. Add the salt,turmeric,red chili powder,garam masala.
3. Mix well and cook till the raw smell goes. Then add the cooked rice . Mix gently and add the pepper and cashews with ghee. Toss it well once and Turn off the flame.
Now the carrot rice is ready to serve with raita or chips or vadagam.
My Notes :
1. Instead of chopped ginger you can add the ginger garlic paste.
2. Adding whole spices and garam masala is optional. Instead you can make temper with mustard and urad dal too.
3. You can also add bay leaf if you like it.
4. I did not use coriander powder since i used pepper at last.
5. Adding ghee and cashew is optinoal.