PEERKANGAI(RIDGE GUARD) PARUPPU KUZHAMBU
Peerkangai Paruppu Kuzhambu is the simplest south indian sambar variety . This is the sambar that is made of moong dal that goes well with plain rice. This is the most easiest sambar variety that can be made in less time. This is the usual sambar that i made regularly at home as its less spice sambar and good for kids too.
Preparation Time:15 mints| Cooking Time : 30 mints|Severs: 3
Peerkangai - 1 medium size
Moong dal - 1/4cup
Oil - 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tspn
Cumin seeds - 1 tspn
Curry leaves - few
G.Chili - 1
Red Chili - 1
Small Onion - 10
Tomato - 1 small
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1 tbspn
Hing - 1 tspn
Sambar Powder - 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves - few
1. Remove the edges and harder skin of the peerkangai and cut into bite size pieces.
2. Soak the moong dal for 30 mints and pressure cook it for 3 whistles . In a pan add the peerkangai along with the salt & turmeric and cook till soft.
3. In a kadai heat the oil add the mustard seeds,cumin seeds. Allow it to pop then add the curry leaves,g.chili,red chili and small onion.
4. Cook till its transparent then add the tomatoes cook till marshy. Then add the peerkangai and moong dal . Mix well.
5. Add sambar powder,salt,hing . Mix well and boil for 5 mints. Once done add the chopped coriander leaves and remove from stove.
Serve the hot peerkangai sambar for lunch with plain rice.
My Notes :
1. Instead of small onions you can also add big onions. But adding the small onion to the sambar give extra flavors.
2. If you prefer peeling the entire skin of peerkangai and using the white part alone. You can also do that way.
3. If you don't like the tomato flavor add the tamarind extract instead of it.