Mullu murukku / Mullu Thenkuzhal is the traditional south indian murukku variety that is made for festivals like Krishna jeyanthi , Diwali etc.. This type of murukku is also famous in indian marriages they keep this in seeru. This is made of rice and lentils powder together. This can be done either salty or spicy version . As Diwali is nearing i planned to post this recipe in my blog. Here is the steps to make mullu murukku.
Preparation Time:45 mints| Cooking Time : 1 hour
Rice flour - 3 cups
Moong dal - 1 cup
Channa dal - 1/2 cup
Butter - 3 tbspn
Salt - to taste
Cumin powder - 1 tbspn
Oil - For deep frying
1. Dry Roast the moong dal and channa dal well till it turns golden. Then add it to blender grind it to fine powder . sieve well and repeat the same process two or three times to get fine powder.
2. In a mixing bowl add the rice flour , dal flour , butter , salt , cumin powder together and make it to a soft dough . Divide the dough equally as shown. So that it is easy to put in kuzhal / Nazhi while preparing murukku.
3. Fill the dough in murukku achu with star designed and make the murukku in a greased plate or backside of laddle.
4. Put them in heat oil and deep fry until bubbles stops . Now remove from the oil.
Crispy and Crunchy Mullu Thenguzhal is ready to serve.
1. I used store brought rice flour for easy process. If you want you can make the rice flour at home and use it.
2. Cook the murukku in medium flame. so that it cooks well.
3. Cover the remaining murukku dough with wet cloth while preparing murukku.
4. If you want you can directly do the murukku in oil. But handle it with care.
5. The left over dal powder that is remained while sieved ( kappi ) can be added to adai batter.
6. If you want spicy version you can add chili powder instead of cumin powder.