Poori Masala is the most popular tiffin variety or breakfast item in India. Poori masala is nothing but the subji made of mashed potato along with onion and green chili . This poori masala is also called as potato masala. This same masala is used for masala dosa. And it can also be had as a side dish for roti.
Preparation Time:10 mints| Cooking Time : 30 mints|Severs: 3
Potato - 4 medium sized
Oil - 3 tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1 tbspn
Channa dal - 2 tbspn
Green Chili - 2
Ginger - 1 inch chopped
Curry leaves - few
Onion - lengthwise sliced (1/4 cup)
Water - as required
Turmeric - 1 tspn
Hing - 1 tspn
Salt - to taste
Besan flour - 1tbspn
1. Wash and cut potatoes into 2 and pressure cook for 3 whistles with little water. Allow it to cool down, peel the skin.
2. Heat kadai with oil and temper with mustard seeds , channa dal.Once the channa dal turns golden then add ginger,green chilies,onion (lengthwise) and cook until onion turns transparent.
3. Once it turns transparent add the mashed potatoes and mix well . Then add the required water, salt , turmeric and hing. Allow it to cook well.
4. After 5 mints mix the besan flour with little water without lumps. Then add it to the potato gravy . Once it thickens add coriander leaves and turn off the stove.
Serve it with hot poori.
My Notes :
1. Adding besan flour is completely optional. It helps in thickening the gravy.
2. If you like tangy flavor you can add tomatoes along with onions.