Bitter guard(pavakkai) is the most healthy vegetable. As the name indicates its a bitter vegetable and many avoid it. This is a sambar type of recipe made with bitter guard, tamarind extract,cooked dal along with the grinded paste. Lets look at the recipe of making it.
Preparation Time:10 mints| Cooking Time : 15 mints|Severs: 3
Bitter gourd - 1
Toor Dal - 1/2 Cup
Oil - 4 tbspn
Mustard Seeds - 1 tspn
Coriander Seeds - 2tbspn
Channa dal - 1 tbspn
Red Chilies - 2
Grated Coconut - 4 tbspn
Curry Leaves - Few
Tamarind Extract - 1/4 cup
Salt To Taste
Jaggery - 1/2 tspn
1. Soak the toor dal for half hour and pressure cook it for three vessel . Then mash the dal and keep it ready. Roast channa dal,coriander seeds and red chili with a tbspn of oil.
2. Once its turns golden add the coconut and dry roast it. Then let it to cool down and grind it to a fine paste.
3. Remove the seeds from bitter guard and cut the pavakkai to your desired shape . Fry it well with a tbspn of oil. In a pan add the tamarind extract ,hing,salt and turmeric. Mix well and Bring it to boil.
4. Once the extract start boil add the bitter guard , mashed toor dal and mix well. After two mints add the grounded coconut paste and cook till it thickens and raw smell goes.
5. Add jaggery to it and cook for ten mints. Once the raw smell goes add coriander leaves. Then add the mustard seeds,curry leaves tadka to it.
Now pitlai is ready to serve along with hot rice.
My Notes :
1. You can also add cooked kabuli channa or white channa along with bitter guard.
2. Adding jaggery is completely optional.