This type of kuzhambu is very popular in the southern regions of India. This is the best accompaniment to the plain rice and can have this with appalam or any veg poriyal for this. This is made of brinjal along with spices,onion,tomato and garlic. This is type of a masala kuzhambu and this is my moms recipe. Lets look at the recipe.
Preparation Time:15 mints|Cooking Time:30mints|serves:3-4
Tomato - 2 small
Shallots - 15nos
Garlic - 3cloves
Coconut - 4tbspn
Brinjal - 7 small
Tamarind Extract - 1/4cup
Sesame Oil - 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds - 1tspn
Salt - 1tbspn
Sambar Powder - 1tbspn
Turmeric - 1tspn
Hing - 1tspn
1.Chop the brinjal as shown in pic and immerse it in water to avoid discoloration. Heat the oil in kadai and add the garlic. saute then add the shallots. Once onions are done add the tomatoes and cook till its soft.
2. Once the tomatoes are soft. Turn off the flame add the coconut saute for a minute. Allow it to cool down then add the mixture to the blender .
3. Add salt , turmeric , sambar powder and hing . Grind it to a smooth paste. Heat the remaining oil in the kadai.
4. Once the oil is hot add the chopped brinjals by straining the water. Saute till the brinjals are soft.
5. Add the grinded paste and mix well to get the masala coats to brinjal. Then add the tamarind extract and bring it to boil.
6. Cook by covering it for 10 mints since it splutters more. And its ready to serve. Add mustard and curry leaves as tempering.
Serve the Kuzhambu with hot steamed rice .
My Notes :
1. Instead of shallots you can use onion.
2. As you are adding tomatoes use very thin tamarind extract.