TOMATO RASAM / THAKKALI RASAM
A Rasam Variety that is made with tomato and dal water. This can be had as a soup or with plain rice. Its good for digestion. It is similar to the usual rasam variety instead of tamarind extract we use the tomato pulp in it. It gives a good tangy taste and with the flavors of rasam powder in it.
Preparation Time:15 mints|Cooking Time:30 mints|serves:3
Oil - 1tbspn
Mustard seeds - 1tspn
Red chili - 1
Salt - 1tbspn
Turmeric - 1tspn
Hing - 1/2 tspn
Rasam Powder - 1 tbspn
Tomato - 2 small
Garlic - 2 crushed
Toor Dal - 1/4 cup or little less
Water - as required
Coriander leaves - few
1. Boil two tomatoes in water and cook by covering it until the skin peels off. It may take around 7 mints.
2. Soak the dal for 15mints and Pressure cook it for four whistles. Then mash well and make it watery. Take the crushed garlic,rasam powder,curry leaves,hing and turmeric in a plate.
3. Crush the tomatoes with the water used for boiling tomato. Then add all the items in plate to the crushed tomatoes and mix well.
4. Also add salt to taste and allow it to cook till raw smell goes. Then add the dal water give a quick mix. Cook till its form a frothy stage .
5. Add the chopped coriander leaves and turn off the stove. Temper with mustard seeds and red chili.
Tomato Rasam is ready to serve.
I used Roma tomatoes(Bangalore tomato) , you can also use wine or sliced tomatoes(Nattu Thakkali).
You can crush the tomatoes with masher or blend it with the blender .