Idli podi is a coarse powder mixture of ground dry spices that typically contains dried chili's, urad dal, channa dal, and sesame seeds. We traditionally use idli podi as a condiment on idlis, dosas and other South Indian dishes. It can be used for making a dish called podi idli which is the most favorite of many.
Preparation Time:5mints|Cooking Time : 15 mints
Urad dal - 2 cups
Channa Dal - 1.5 cups
Red chili - 25 to 30 nos(125 grams)
Sesame seeds - 2 tbspn (black)
Salt - to taste
Hing - 1tbspn
Jaggery - 1 tspn ( powdered)
1. Dry Roast the channa dal till its golden brown and transfer it to a wide bowl. Then dry roast the urad dal and red-chili until golden brown and transfer it to same bowl.
2. Dry Roast the sesame seeds separately and add to the dal . Add the hing and allow to cool down.
3. Grind the red chili first to a coarse powder first in a blender. Then add the dal along with salt and jaggery. Grind it to a coarse powder.
4. Once cool down store in air tight boxes for longer use.
Idli Milagai Podi is ready to serve with hot idli , dosa along gingely oil.
1. You can reduce the reduce the amount of red chili as you want less spicy. I need hot so added 125grams. U can add 100grams if u need.
2. Prefer to add black sesame seeds it gives a good taste.
3. I grinded to coarse powder if u want fine you can make that way.