Paniyaram is the famous tiffin variety that can be had as breakfast or dinner . It can also be had as evening snacks. It goes well with chutney or sambar. Paniyaram is a chettinad cuisine based dish that is popular in all parts of south India.
This can be made with various versions like mixed vegetable paniyaram,dry fruits paniyaram , sweet paniyaram with jaggery. Here comes the basic version of savory paniyaram with onion . We can use idli / dosa batter for making paniyaram. It turns out so yummy.
Preparation Time:10 mints|Cooking Time:15 mints| Serves:3
Idli / Dosa Batter - 2 cups
Shallots - 10 Nos (finely chopped)
Curry leaves - few (finely chopped)
Coriander leaves - few (finely chopped)
Mustard - 1 tspn
channa dal - 2 tbspn
Oil - as required
1. In a kadai heat 2 tbspn of oil add the mustard seeds allow it to pop then add channa dal. Once it turns golden add the shallots saute well. Then add the curry leaves & coriander leaves. Turn off the stove and allow it to cool down.Then add the cool down mixture to the batter.
2. Mix well the batter. Heat the kuzhi paniyaram kal and add little oil in each hole. Fill the batter and keep in medium flame and cook well.Then turn to other side and cook in medium flame.Once done remove from the pan and repeat the process for batter.
kuzhi paniyaram is ready to serve with chutney or sambar.
1. You can add vegetables of your choice by finely chopping it.
2. I did not add salt to vegetables, you can add if necessary.
3. You can even add the vegetables directly to the batter . But it takes more time to cook.